& Self-Guided Tour App

Italians saved New Orleans French Quarter from Burning in April 1862.

From 1870-1960 they rebuilt the French Quarter, giving it the nickname “Little Palermo.”

French Market Frieze

The frieze depicts the artist’s Italian ancestor, a farmer from upriver, coming to the farmer’s market around the late 1700s to sell his produce. Over 60,000 Italians would immigrate through New Orleans from 1870-1924, giving the French Quarter the nickname “Little Palermo.”

The state of Louisiana has given approval of 10 historic markers telling the story of Italian & Sicilian events and contributions.

A free Self-guided tour App of “Little Palermo”

Download from the App “New Orleans Insider Tours.”

Link to Video of “Little Palermo” tour

Currently the City of New Orleans will not authorize the erection of this state approved historic marker.

In 2020, Council Member Kristen Palmer refused to place on a Government Affairs Committee agenda a request by the American-Italian Federation to discuss the erection of a historic marker to Mother Cabrini.

Link to video of request